Many postgraduate students and early career academics experience precarious and insecure conditions in their teaching and research work.
FREE membership of UCU is available to PhD students. Joining gives you access to training and support, and you can take action with colleagues on issues that matter to you.
QMUCU has a number of active campaigns, including around Demonstrators, Teaching Associates and Associate Lecturers.
For more information or to get involved, contact the Anti-Casualisation Reps.
Resources for Demonstrators and Teaching Associates
- FAQs for Demonstrators
- Advice including what the role should or shouldn’t involve, and who to contact if you have questions
- Distinguishing Demonstrator and Teaching Associate roles
- Use this guide to make sure you’re being paid at the right rate
- Teaching Associate and Associate Lecture time allocation model
- Guidance from HR on the number of hours for which TAs and ALs should be paid for preparing lectures or seminars, marking, administration etc.
- (If Schools do not follow this guide, they should provide a justificatory note to HR.)